News and Opinions
Use the links below to download recent news articles and editorials about nurse practitioners and their growing role in healthcare. You can also keep an eye on our NPs in the News archive for other coverage.
– Capitol Weekly, November 29, 2017
Summary: As we discuss how to increase the number of primary care providers in California, better utilizing the more than 21,000 nurse practitioners is a must.
– Forbes, November 20, 2017
Summary: Nurses across the U.S. are upset at new American Medical Association policy opposing efforts to allow advanced practice registered nurses to practice independently of a physician’s supervision.
– Freakonomics, November 15, 2017
Summary: Could the growing army of nurse practitioners be an answer to the doctor shortage? The data say yes but — big surprise — doctors’ associations say no.
– Los Angeles Times, October 10, 2017
Summary: Not having enough doctors to meet the healthcare needs of California's growing population is frightening. Not taking steps to address this shortfall with a greater number of nurse practitioners is simply foolish.
– San Jose Mercury News, August 15, 2017
Summary: The latest UCSF study shows lack of primary care doctors to be a problem. Solution: allowing nurse practitioners to work at the highest level of their education and knowledge!
– Behind the Badge OC, July 24, 2017
Summary: A nurse practitioner on the front lines is producing real results – "dispatched over 1,700 times, and has prevented 57 percent of the 554 patients she’s treated from making an unnecessary trip to the ER."
– University of Rhode Island, July 18, 2017
Summary: Study finds hospitalization and ER visits drop over 60 percent with NP visits.
– Amarillo Globe News, June 7, 2017
Summary: A step in the right direction – our nation trusts us to help care for those who have served. We will continue to lead.
– CBS Los Angeles, March 21, 2017
– California Health Report, March 20, 2017
– Managed Healthcare Connect.com, February 17, 2017
– Journal of Emergency Medical Services, February 1, 2017